John-John, RIP

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Tue Jul 20 12:39:01 PDT 1999

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Steve Perry wrote:

> Impossible to tell definitively, but I have
> no sense that "the people" really care about the latest Kennedy
> pageant (and the first in some time, really--you couldn't do much
> by way of bathos with Mr. Skis Into Trees) beyond their evanescent
> interest in the immediate gory details.

I was curious about responses to his death and checked out the NYTimes John is dead forum. There seemed to be more sympathy for the Bessette family than there was for the Kennedys. There were a few comparisons between John & Diana (one person called her "that dumb bimbo slut"), a few comparisons between John and Jesus, a few comments about Kennedy "noblesse oblige," lots of comments about how stupid it was for him to fly, some concerns about anti-Catholic sentiments, and one person blamed the accident on that "selfish and superficial" Lauren Bessette who worked late that day. I overheard some women at the gym this a.m talking about how they were just hoping that John had safely made it to "an island, or something."

frances