John-John, RIP

kelley oudies at flash.net
Tue Jul 20 12:40:47 PDT 1999

alexlocascio at juno.com wrote:
>Christ, all the fawning makes one wonder if people truly want to be free.
> It's no wonder that for the past quarter century or so Leftists have
>been looking to the Third World for liberation struggles. Apart from a
>few brave labor and black liberation fighters, this country is full of
>snivellers.

and crap like this is why joe sixpack and suzy winecooler aren't going to join on the leftist wagon any time soon. the contempt that people on this list express for joe and suzy is what altogether too often is our own worst enemy. if you want to view everyone as a bunch of mindless sheep kewl, but don't be surprised when they appear to act that way.

btw, why is it that polls are frequently attacked on this list for being the tripe that they are, but when it comes to a poll that mirrors a view of the world that's acceptable then a-okay and hurray to polls.

as if the left and radical left doesn't worship it's own heroes. talk about methodological dualism

don't worry, though. i don't valorize joe and suzy any more than anyone else. however, i'm continually astounded by the attitudes expressed on this list and elsewhere. it's truly a puzzle to me and has been every time i've been involved in leftist organizing: i recall working for plant closing legislation in NYS. every time someone turned us away at their front doors or sniffed at our petition or screamed at us as we stood outside the gates of a factory engaging in a little consciousness raising, someone or three or ten would grimace and whine about apathy and mindless support for capitalism, etc--as if it was the personal, moral fault of the individuals in questions, as if they'd never heard of structural analyses, as if they'd never heard of hegemony, and so forth.

a stumper. not.

kelley