Pseudo-populism, the idiotic masses, and gadfly Nation columnists

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Tue Jul 20 18:25:02 PDT 1999

Alex LoCascio wrote:

> I hate to break it to
> some folks, but a gift subscription to Extra and a collection of
> Chomsky's works isn't going to turn the working class around. The
> problems are a lot deeper than mere ignorance.

In my very modest experience, this is wrong. Ignorance is 95% of the problem. Every time I argue with dittohead working dudes, merely pointing out a few facts and putting forth a few arguments is enough to shut them up and set the wheels of thought in motion. Of course, the problem is lack of follow-up; next day, Rush Limbaugh is talking to them and I am not.

A few forwarded e-mails from LBO have already moved a couple of friends of mine a few notches to the left. A subscription to LBO and Chomsky's works _would_ make a difference (what is Extra?).

Enrique