Pseudo-populism, the idiotic masses, and gadfly Nation columnists

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Jul 21 00:14:08 PDT 1999

> I hate to break it to
> some folks, but a gift subscription to Extra and a collection of
> Chomsky's works isn't going to turn the working class around. The
> problems are a lot deeper than mere ignorance.

In my very modest experience, this is wrong. Ignorance is 95% of the problem. Every time I argue with dittohead working dudes, merely pointing out a few facts and putting forth a few arguments is enough to shut them up and set the wheels of thought in motion. Of course, the problem is lack of follow-up; next day, Rush Limbaugh is talking to them and I am not. . . .

I'm inclined to agree, though I think morale is a big factor. Also destroying the intellectual reputation of those in authority (their moral standing is already pretty much shot to hell).

Then there's the problem of what you would suggest they DO, in terms of organization and activities.

mbs