discussion on working class, etc.

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Wed Jul 28 08:31:34 PDT 1999

> the tendency of capitalism is to reduce a working class with the
> potential capacities to do, enjoy, and act politically, to a
> collection
> of 'just workers'; 'just consumers'; and 'just voters'.

I just finished reading the manuscript of a book (destined for business readers) covering the last 100 years of management thinking and practice. While most of the info was familiar to me, I was struck anew by capitalism's awesome capacity to objectify people. The tendency of elites to dominate and humiliate has existed throughout history, of course, but combining this tendency with the reductionistic, quantifying nature of science -- the real driving force behind modern management -- has produced unprecedented opportunities to belittle the worth of most individuals in every social capacity.

Carl