Re(2): RE: can SS be saved by buying stocks?

Ellen Frank frank at emmanuel.edu
Thu Jul 29 12:47:53 PDT 1999

One more comment on SS, then I'll stop. Greenstein's column (as I recall) made no explicit policy proposals. But to add to the climate of crisis-mongering in this environment, and this was Mark Weisbrot's point, is irresponsible unless one has a progressive proposal to make. Say Greenstein is right (why not? who the hell knows what will happen in 20 years?). The demographics are bad, the population top-heavy with oldsters. How exactly is this problem resolved by paying extra taxes today or, alternatively, by giving extra funds to Wall Street today. Is the assumption that Wall Street (or Congress) will spend the money on long-term projects that can benefit an aging population? If that's the assumption, spell it out. Then we have something to mull over. Like, what has the corporate track record been in providing goods and services for the elderly? If this is what we're talking about it, let's talk about nursing homes. Or pharmaceuticals. Or health insurance. I have a longer article on this in the May issue of Dollars and Sense (www.dollarsandsense.org) and another coming out in Dissent. Can send these off-list to anyone who's interested.

Ellen Frank