High Rollers in Detroit

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com
Fri Jul 30 06:06:11 PDT 1999

Got a little spare time, so thought this passage from "Road to Wigan Pier" might be apropos (from the copy which sits on my desk next to "Soviet Planning Today" by Michael Ellman -- great fun when the boss started to idly thumb through my bookshelf the week before bonus time).

******************

....You can't get much meat for threepence, but you can get a lot of fish and chips. Milk costs threepence a pint and even 'mild' beer costs fourpence, but aspirins are seven a penny and you can wring forty cups of tea out of a quarter pound packet. And above all, there is gambling, the cheapest of all luxuries. Even people on the verge of starvation can buy a few days' hope ('Something to live for', as they call it) by having a penny on a sweepstake. Organised gambling has now risen almost to the status of a major industry. Consider, for instance, the phenomenon of the Football Pools, with a turnover of about six million pounds a year, almost all of it from the pockets of working-class people. I happened to be in Yorkshire when Hitler re-opened the Rhineland. Hitler, Locarno, Fascism and the threat of war aroused hardly a flicker of interest locally, but the decision of the Football Association to stop publishing their fixtures in advnace (this was an attempt to quell the Football Pools) flung all Yorkshire into a storm of fury. And then there is the queer spectacle of modern electrical science showering miracles upon people with empty bellies. You may shiver all night through lack of bedclothes, but in the morning you can go to the public library and read the news that jhas been telegraphed for your benefit from San Francisco and Singapore. Twenty million people are underfed but literally everyone in England has access to a radio. What we have lost in food we have gained in electricity. Whole sections of the working class who have been plundered of all they really need are being compensated in part, by cheap luxuries which mitigate the surface of life

Do you consider all this desirable? No, I don't. But it may be that the psychological adjustment which the working class are visibly making is the best they could make in the circumstances. They have neither turned revolutionary nor lost their self-respect; merely they have kept their tempers and settled down to make the best of things on a fish-and-chip standard. The alternative would be God knows what agonies of despair; or it might be attempted insurrections which, in a strongly governed place like England, could only lead to futile massacres and a regime of savage repression

****************

[typos mine]

Statistician's note: the Football Pools of which Orwell writes offer by far the worst odds of any form of gambling offered to the public in Britain -- the National Lottery looks almost fair by comparison.

dd

_____

This email is confidential to the ordinary user of the

e-mail address to which it was addressed. If you are not

the intended recipient, please notify the sender

IMMEDIATELY on (44) 171 638 5858 and delete the message

from all locations in your computer. You should not copy

this email or use it for any purpose, or disclose its

contents to any person : to do so may be unlawful.

Email is an informal method of communication and is

subject to possible data corruption, either accidentally

or on purpose. Flemings is unable to exercise control

over the content of information contained in

transmissions made via the Internet. For these reasons

it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information

contained on email without obtaining written confirmation

of it.