Let me in. We-oo.

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Fri Jul 30 09:24:35 PDT 1999

Paula, I'll give you an example---and---back up something I said about the literacy levels of immigrants.

I'm acquainted with a fellow who is a Lebanese immigrant grocer. The guy is a graduate mechanical engineer educated both in the US and Lebanon. He left Lebanon before the bombing started about 20 years ago. He owns and operates a nice little grocery on the edge of the housing projects and is well liked in the neighborhood. I've got a promise from him when his business gets to a certain size he will become a union grocery store! And I'll be there or one of our organizers will be there with the authorization cards when his business expands. The UFCW usually organizes only the big grocery chains---the USWA has in the past organized the major independent grocers. The guy's got a really good attitude---he can't wait until he gets big enough to have a union to deal with!

Tom Lehman