KLA takes charge

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 30 08:43:55 PDT 1999

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Again, though, we have the moral equivalence between state-sponsored
>systematic murder of Kosovars and their acts of resistance. But if after
>all the reports of the systematic and planned atrocities committed by the
>Serb forces in Kosovo, you still see the Serb actions as morally equivalent,
>no amount of argument is going to bridge the gap on this issue.
>
>Hell, by your logic, Native Americans deserved what they got (or at least
>whites are morally equivalent) since there were plenty of scattered
>massacres of whites in response to European encroachment.

Nathan, that analogy qualifies you for a career in public relations. With all this talk of "moral equivalence" I feel like I'm back in the days of Reagan and Kirkpatrick.

There's a principle here, that ethnically driven murder, displacement, and appropriation is wrong, whether it's state-sponsored or "spontaneous." But the KLA's actions are symptomatic of the whole US/NATO approach to the region, which is to reinforce ethnic partitioning. That's what Bosnia's about, and that's what Kosovo is now about. Is it only wrong when Serbs do it?

Remind me how it's an act of resistance to loot Serb-owned stores.

Doug