KLA takes charge

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Thu Jul 29 14:48:11 PDT 1999

-----Original Message----- From: Seth Ackerman <SAckerman at FAIR.org>
>Why is this murder of Serbs a revenge killing for Serb atrocities,
>but the Serb atrocities against Albanians were not revenge killings for the
>bombing and the KLA? Why was the rise of the KLA a response to Serbian
>persecution, but Serbian persecution was not a response to Albanian
>oppression under autonomy?
>For a critic of "ethnic hatreds" you sure know how to take sides.

The two might be equivalent if there was evidence of the KLA at its top echelons organizing a systematic murder of Serbian civilians, as opposed to the current evidence of scattered murders without particular direction.

Again, though, we have the moral equivalence between state-sponsored systematic murder of Kosovars and their acts of resistance. But if after all the reports of the systematic and planned atrocities committed by the Serb forces in Kosovo, you still see the Serb actions as morally equivalent, no amount of argument is going to bridge the gap on this issue.

Hell, by your logic, Native Americans deserved what they got (or at least whites are morally equivalent) since there were plenty of scattered massacres of whites in response to European encroachment.

--Nathan