(es/en) Nuevo Orden Mundial // New World Order

magellan at netrio.com.br magellan at netrio.com.br
Fri Jul 30 09:25:30 PDT 1999

TEXT IN ENGLISH BELOW

Nuevo Orden Mundial // New World Order

Sí así le tratan a Massachusetts,

¡ imagínese cómo tratarán a América Latina !

If they treat Massachusetts in such a way,

one can imagine how they will treat Latin America !

Abajo envío la conclamación de ecologistas británicos contra la "Rueda del Milenio" ("Rodada do Milênio / Millenium Round"), la mayor prioridad presente del movimiento ATTAC. El Attac de Francia pide que se la difunda mundialmente. El mensaje originalmente se llama "Turn around the WTO" (Reaccione a la OMC).

Traduzco este párrafo muy significativo:

"La OMC siempre pone los intereses de las empresas multinacionales en primer lugar, adelante de aquellos de las mujeres, del medio ambiente, de los trabajadores, de los consumidores, de los paises subdesarrolados y del bien estar de los animales. También amenaza procesar a la defensa de los derechos humanos. En 1996 el estado de Massachusetts, aterrorizado con el tratamiento de los derechos humanos en Burma, aprobó una ley que desestimulaba las compras gubernamentales de compañías que hagan negocios allá. La ley es idéntica a otra aprobada en los años ochenta para apoyar el movimiento anti-apartheid en África del Sur, pero Estados Unidos y Japón, encorajados por las empresas multinacionales que están perdiendo negocios debido a la ley, la impugnaron ante la OMC. Si la OMC existiera en los años ochenta, Nelson Mandela probablemente todavía estaría en la cárcel."

La conferencia tendrá lugar en Londres el 26 de septiembre. Las direcciones para inscripción y obtención de informaciones sobre la OMC / WTO (Organización Mundial del Comercio) y la "Rueda" son:

<http://www.onelist.com> y <www.citizen.org/pctrade/gattwto/wto-book.pdf>

Saludos / Saudações de Roberto Magellan

----- Original Message ----- From: Chris Keene <chris.keene at which.net> Sent: mercredi 28 juillet 1999 22:09 Subject: TURN AROUND THE WTO conference and leaflet

The text beneath is on the flier I am currently sending out. If you would like any hard copies of the flier to distribute, please contact me.

Side 1 TURN AROUND THE WORLD TRADE ORGANISATION

Do you want to eat American beef treated with artificial growth hormones which could give you cancer? The World Trade Organisation thinks you should, and now their panel of trade bureaucrats, which always meets in secret, has decided that the USA and Canada can impose trade sanctions on the EU as punishment for protecting the health of their citizens by banning hormone treated beef. We don't even need the extra beef these growth hormones produce; their only function is to increase the profits of the corporations manufacturing them. The WTO always puts the interests of multinational corporations first, ahead of those of women, the environment, workers, consumers, developing countries and animal welfare. It also threatens action to safeguard human rights. In 1996 the State of Massachusetts, appalled at Burma's human rights record, passed a law to discourage state government purchases from companies doing business there. The law was identical to one passed in the 1980s to support the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa, but the EU and Japan, encouraged by the multinational corporations who were losing business because of it, have challenged the law at the WTO. If the WTO had been around in the 1980s, Nelson Mandela would probably still be in prison.

Since it was set up in 1995, the WTO has failed to live up to its promise that increasing free trade would lead to increased prosperity for everyone. Instead it has caused enormous increases in inequality and job insecurity. Now there are plans to increase the WTO's powers still further, in a new round of negotiations due to start next year, the so-called Millennium Round. WE MUST STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING. Instead, there should be an assessment of the damage the WTO has already caused, carried out with the full participation of civil society in an open and transparent way, then a change to the WTO rules so that they operate for the benefit of citizens and the environment instead of multinational corporations. If we want democracy in the next Millennium rather than corporate rule, we need radical reform of the WTO now.

NO NEW ROUND - TURN AROUND!

PLEASE COPY AND DISTRIBUTE THIS LEAFLET

Side 2 WHAT YOU CAN DO TO STOP THE MILLENNIUM ROUND

Get informed Subscribe to the StopWTORound email list. Go to http://www.onelist.com. In the space beneath By Name or Subject, type StopWTORound.

Get Public Citizen's booklet on the WTO from the internet at www.citizen.org/pctrade/gattwto/wto-book.pdf. If you don't have access to the internet contact Chris Keene (see bottom of page) for a copy.

Spread the Word Few people have heard about the proposed Millennium Round, so tell everyone you know about it - your family, friends, neighbours, workmates, trade union, religious organisation, etc

Write to your MP Tell them your concerns about the plans to increase the powers of the WTO and the problems it has caused already. Tell them there should be no new round of negotiations. Ask them to demand an assessment of the WTO's effects and then a change to its rules to repair any damage it is found to have done. And ask them to bring this to the attention of the Prime Minister.

Join the ANTI-GLOBALISATION NETWORK Contact Chris Keene (see bottom of page). It is free, but I would appreciate a donation of £5 per year to cover postage and production of our newsletter, unless you have email, in which case just send me your email address.

Come to the TURN AROUND THE WTO conference Sunday 26 September, 11am - 5pm. Conway Hall, 25 Red Lion Square, London WC1R 4RL Chair: Hilary Wainwright (Editor of Red Pepper) Speakers: Caroline Lucas MEP (Green Party); Ronnie Hall (Friends of the Earth); Claire Melamed (Christian Aid). To register contact Chris Keene

Printed and published by Chris Keene, 90 The Parkway, Canvey Island SS8 0AE. Tel 01268 682820 Fax 01268 514164 Email chris.keene at which.net