Kemp contra austerity

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Jul 30 11:17:31 PDT 1999

[Hey, maybe a good followup to the left-right anti-imperialist coalition would be a left-right anti-austerity coalition!]

Wall Street Journal - July 30, 1999

THE PARTY OF REAGAN--OR OF HOOVER?

By Jack Kemp, the Republican vice presidential nominee in 1996.

Kemp's anti-austerity is limited to the tax side, without any reference to distribution. And his fiscal analysis and policy (sic) are too wacky. These guys are helpful in dispelling the debt obsession, but that's about it. More relevant are the bridge-and-tunnel Repugs. Guys like Senator Stevens (AK) who like to keep the gravy train rolling. Or Bud Shuster, Mr. Highway. (See my column, "This Bud's for You" for my own political spin on these boys.)

mbs