Life in prison for stealing food

Fellows, Jeffrey jmf9 at cdc.gov
Fri Jun 4 09:31:22 PDT 1999

The differences are not that high. The last figure I saw indicated somewhat more than half of those newly incarcerated (in 1994 I think) were employed prior to going to jail. Also, a significant proportion of the remainder were likely to not be labor force participants. Thus, the impact of incarceration should be examined within the context of the labor force participation rates for the unincarcerated. I am sure the depressing effect on the unemployment rate is still substantial, but not as high as Doug's figures suggest.

Another point that shouldn't be forgotten, and is probably more significant, is the adverse impact of incarceration on future employability and earnings.

Jeff