Not total defeat?

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Jun 4 12:22:08 PDT 1999

I agree there is no high-level vehicle in view right now, in the sense of an organization or specific organized movement of significant competence and size. All I meant was that, in Baltimore at least, there is stuff to consider linking up with. I'm in the LP too so I know what they're doing and not doing.

> moreover, i strongly suspect that the disastrous policies of
clinton administration will result in repugs winning the congress as well as presidency in 2000 - which will greatly accelerate their efforts to dismantle the public sphere and further defund the left. i also suspect a wave of disappointment with the 'center-left' rule in europe, which will further swell the ranks of extreme right.

This could cut in different ways. Right now Clinton's Balkan policy, by conventional standards, is coming up roses. If there is no recession, the Dems are in good shape for 2000.

Right now the Repugs are in a down cycle, so the possibilities you cite are less likely. We've got a ways to go before Clintonism as economic and social doctrine is discredited in the eyes of the general public.

The left could get coopted into this, or it could derive some independent life if the Democratic neglect of social policy becomes more obvious and inflexible. Contemplating eight years of Gore, eight more of Bradley, and eight more of Chelsea, fusion-type activities such as lesser-evil voting and legislative incrementalism look less appealing.

If the Dems come up big in 2000, they might take it as a signal to become more entrenched in neo-liberal policy, or they might take it as a license for new flexibility. I don't think there's any way to predict either way.

mbs