Kosovo compromise

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Jun 4 21:56:20 PDT 1999

<< . . . But do I misread this, or has NATO given in on that fatal provision of the Rambouillet ultimatum which required that not just Kosovo but the entirety of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia submit themselves to occupation by NATO? Not that BBC News would care to have its readers look too closely at that aspect of the tentative peace agreement, as it's going to be "cover your ass" time for everybody in sight. But if there's going to be a buffer zone, a DMZ, between the Serbs and Kosovo, doesn't that mean that NATO or the U.N. or whatever is not going to occupy Serbia? >>

At this early point, it looks like there is no plan to occupy Serbia nor, incidentally, to sever Kosova from Yugoslavia. The pro-Kosova groups are complaining about this as we speak.

All this supports the premise that projections of the conflict as a plan for Nato dominion over Serbia in the interests of some plan of greater conquest-cum-economic absorption were Marxoid hogwash. In the same vein, there is no talk of forcing any particular economic change in Serbia (not that there is much that needs changing from a neo-liberal standpoint to begin with). Not only is there no evident move into Serbia, there is no long-term guarantee of Kosovan security vis-a-vis Serbia.

The basic outcome looks to be a cessation of atrocities with a modicum of breathing space for Kosova. In other words, stability without real justice was what this was about from day one.

Since my primary interest was Kosovar safety and self- determination, the apparent outcome is clearly half a loaf. Nor is the refurbishing of Nato's reputation particularly inspiring, since it rests on a corruption of the concept of justice.

I would not say opposition to the bombing was unfounded, since according to this a.m.'s Post, it was not bombing which was the key factor in Milo's surrender. The key development was that about half of the estimated 4,000 fatalities of Serbian military occurred in the past two days. What happened was that the KLA had mobilized near the Albanian frontier to the point where it was effectively forcing Serb military to mass into formations that made them sitting ducks for US air power. Vietnamization evidently works if there aren't too many trees. I can't say this fate wasn't richly deserved. By contrast, the bombing of civilians might have gone on indefinitely to no good end, as it has in Iraq.

mbs