Crime and Incarceration rates

Fellows, Jeffrey jmf9 at cdc.gov
Mon Jun 7 10:30:26 PDT 1999

Most states do not require mandatory e-coding (external cause of injury) on records for emergency room, in/out patient hospital/clinic, or physician office visits. Unless the surveillance data are e-coded, health care resource and expenditure data (especially emergency department) on intentional violence are probably the worst sources imaginable for estimating incidence of most violence-related injuries (i.e., those other than gunshot wounds). And this is only reflecting persons who actually sought out health care.