Comparing Clinton regime to Hitler regime

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jun 8 12:05:17 PDT 1999

Sam Pawlett wrote:

>How much of Russia's -1.4 in the 1973-1992 period is due to shock
>therapy of post 1991?

Entirely. According to the European Bank for Reconstruction & Development, Russian/Soviet GDP fell by about 1/3 between 1989 and 1992. Growth continued, though very slowly, through the 1970s and into the mid-1980s.

>Also by 'Russia' Maddison presumably means the
>USSR i.e. Russia plus the now independent constituent republics?

Yes. He actually uses USSR, which seemed kind of quaint to me; I should have too. Sorry.

Doug