a free press and political democracy

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Wed Jun 9 08:38:05 PDT 1999

I agree 100% with what Brad says below. When do we start with such a system? I am all for doing away with the corporate press [or at least having a viable alternative] and the sham 2 [corporate] party political system.

Brad De Long wrote:

> If there is one lesson, I think it is the absolute priority of a free press
> and political democracy.

One of the problems with revolutionary regimes is that they generally come into power under uncredible pressures, usually under enormous pressure from civil wars and/or foreign threat. They also lack resources to carry out their program.

Lenin called for the Soviet Union to learn from the best of bourgeois society; Yeltsin, the worst. --

Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University michael at ecst.csuchico.edu Chico, CA 95929 530-898-5321 fax 530-898-5901