a free press and political democracy

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 9 09:24:18 PDT 1999

A truly free press is controlled by the people for the people and of the people. I suppose that describes the WSJ and the NYTimes. Michael asks a very pertinent question. There is a big difference between a free press and a freewheeling press.

Henry C.K. Liu

"We should pay close attention to the well-being of the masses, from the problems of land and labour to those of fuel, rice, cooking oil and salt. . . . All such problems concerning the well-being of the masses should be placed on our agenda. We should discuss them, adopt and carry out decisions and check up on the results. We should help the masses to realize that we represent their interests, that our lives are intimately bound up with theirs. We should help them to proceed from these things to an understanding of the higher tasks which we have put forward, the tasks of the revolutionary war, so that they will support the revolution and spread it throughout the country, respond to our political appeals and fight to the end for victory in the revolution."

Mao Zedong, "Be Concerned with the Well-Being of the Masses, Pay Attention to Methods of Work" (January 27, 1934), Selected Works, Vol. I, p. 149.*