homogeneity - was Re: Comparing...

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 9 13:10:25 PDT 1999

I have re-read your previous post as you suggested and read you current one with care. While I do not find disagreement with what you put forth, indeed I agree and admire the progressiveness of your ideas, I have learned in life to aim for a lower threshold in term of expectation from my fellow human beings. Discrimination of course is derived from prejudice. Yet as such, it is not necessarily destructive. There is no art criticism, for example, without discrimination. I am afraid that over generations, we have been reduced to: I don't require you to like me, just don't hit me.

On the list, when I suggested that certain attitudes and tactics were racist, I meant people conclude from unfamilar usages translated from a foreign language as proof that the content is "mindless" and deserving of parody. That may be a prejudice that those people have a right to hold to themselves. But they do not have a right to interact with me on that level and they certainly do not have the right to deny its racist nature. To have acted racist and then to deny having acted racist is double jeopardy.

Now your point that attitude reinforced by power takes on oppressive characteristics and if institutionalized becomes cultural is well taken. Such oppression can only be fought conceptually: such as teaching Black children: Black is Beautiful, or little boys to declare: I am a man. This problem is more acute in America where many minorities must seek survival in an oppressive majority-controlled society. People in other countries, Like China and Japan, the notion that they have to defend their natural humanity comes to life only when they interact with Westerners. Asians interact more harmoniously with Africans and Latinos, even though they are very different on many levels, becasue they interact on an equal basis. Of the five principles the PRC defined as a sound basis for foreign relations, equality is one and non-interference in internal affairs is another.

Henry C.K. Liu