Clapton's Guitars & Central Planning

JayHecht at aol.com JayHecht at aol.com
Thu Jun 10 10:47:26 PDT 1999

Sorry for the non-sequitur titles! But I suppose it your attention.

In a message dated 6/10/99 10:33:35 AM Central Daylight Time, sokol at jhu.edu writes:

<< I do not

subscribe to the idea that central planning was that much different form

the developed economies. >>

1) Jim Clifton wrote a piece in the early 1980s about competition and notes how GM and other large corps essentially used "central planning" to operate (note the US Defense dept and associated industries do this too). In fact, my first job was working in the "Corporate Planning and Research" dept at a large insurance company.

2) Christie's took out a full page ad in Rolling Stone to advert the upcoming (6/24/99) auction of 100 of ECs stage and studio guitars. The most famous one perhaps is "Brownie" - The guitar used on "Layla" and (I believe) is also featured on the originally album cover. Although he seems like a humble guy, I always thought Clapton was very overrated; he copped most of his licks from John Lee, B.B. Bucka W. Muddy, etc. Moreover, he always surrounded himself with musicians that were a lot more capable than himself.

Vintage electric guitars have become "museum pieces" - especially among Japanese capitalists and elites. Here is an example of profound commodity fetishism! Guitars are MADE to be played - their tone is intimately affected by USE (e.g. "wear and tear"). Putting them behind glass may increase their exchange value , but it will deprive musicians and everybody else from a unique source of "USE" values.

I understand that run-of-the-mill vintage Gibson Les Pauls (1957-60) fetch upwards of $100,000; I suppose Clapton's will go for much, much more. I played in a band in high school with a guy who also collected guitars; he had a 1961 mint white Stratocaster that was worth quite a bit back in the mid-1970s. I wonder if he's still working in that Deli in Queens?

Jason