Comparing the Clinton regime to the Stalin regime

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 10 12:56:03 PDT 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Charles Brown wrote:
>
> Oh come now Charles. I'm not likely to get arrested for publishing LBO, and
> you're not likely to get arrested for anything you post to this list. We
> may get ignored, harassed, whatever, but we do have considerable freedom of
> speech. That was not true of the USSR. I know there are all kinds of
> constraints on our media, lots of subtle forms of censorship, but our
> formal guarantees of freedom of speech are still worth something.
>
> Doug

But then, the US is not exactly a garrison state at this moment, its paranoia not withstanding. There were periods in America during which people had been persecuted for their ideas. What we are now witnessing is not freedom, but benign neglect. The Left is permitted in America because it has been effectively marginalized. The chances of LBO violently overthrowing the US government are zero. If otherwise, you will be visited prompto. Remember what they did to the Black Panthers in Philadelphia? In fact, Thorau's question is pertinent: "Doug, what are you doing out of jail?" ;o)

Henry