Comparing the Clinton regime to the Stalin regime

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 10 13:19:17 PDT 1999

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:

> ... I'm not likely to get arrested for publishing LBO, and you're not
> likely to get arrested for anything you post to this list. We may get
> ignored, harassed, whatever, but we do have considerable freedom of
> speech. That was not true of the USSR. I know there are all kinds of
> constraints on our media, lots of subtle forms of censorship, but our
> formal guarantees of freedom of speech are still worth something.

Without disagreeing on the (limited) value of formal guarantees, I think it's important to note the relative effectiveness of different forms of control. It's worthwhile to recognize that (and how) one's available media are controlled. Comparing "information systems" in the USSR and the US, Chomsky wrote in 1992,

[In Brezhnev's USSR] there were dissidents and alternative media:

underground samizdat and foreign radio. According to a 1979 US

government-funded study, 77% of blue-collar workers and 96% of the

middle elite listened to foreign broadcasts, while the alternative

press reached 45% of high-level professionals, 41% of political

leaders, 27% of managers, and 14% of blue-collar workers ...

(James Miller and Peter Donhowe, Washington Post Weekly, Feb. 17,

1986, p. 16).

Dissidents were bitterly condemned as "anti-Soviet" and

"supporters of capitalist imperialism," as demonstrated by the

fact that they condemned the evils of the Soviet system instead of

marching in parades denouncing the crimes of official enemies.

They were also punished, not in the style of US dependencies such

as El Salvador, but harshly enough...

[In the US] there are dissidents and other information sources.

Foreign radio broadcasts reach virtually no one, but alternative

media exist, though without a tiny fraction of the outreach of

samizdat. Dissidents are bitterly condemned as "anti-American" and

"supporters of Communism" as demonstrated by the fact that they

condemn the evils of the American system instead of marching in

parades denouncing the crimes of official enemies. But they are

not severely punished, at least if they are privileged and of the

right color. Again, the concept "anti-American" is particularly

striking, the very hallmark of a totalitarian mentality...

--C. G. Estabrook