More on Racism

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 11 06:54:35 PDT 1999

Scandal's Fallout Claims 2 Morgan Stanley Lawyers

By JOSEPH KAHN

NEW YORK -- Morgan Stanley Dean Witter's general

counsel stepped down from her job and a senior

in-house lawyer resigned in connection with a $10,000

payment to a police informant, as the Wall Street giant

sought to end what two top executives said in a statement

was "a difficult time for our firm."

Christine A. Edwards, the general counsel, stepped aside and

accepted a part-time role as an advisory director, Morgan

Stanley said, calling the decision voluntary and against the

wishes of the firm's management committee.

Monroe R. Sonnenborn, a managing director in the legal

department who had been suspended with pay last month,

resigned under pressure. Carol Bernstein, a third in-house

lawyer who reported to Sonnenborn and had also been

suspended with pay last month, will resume her duties.

The personnel changes were announced together with the

results of an internal investigation into the circumstances

surrounding Morgan Stanley's decision to pay $10,000 to

Charles Joseph Luethke, an informant involved in the arrest

last year of former employee Christian L. Curry.

The investigation, conducted by Paul, Weiss, Rifkind,

Wharton & Garrison, a Manhattan law firm, found that there

was "no satisfactory explanation" for why Morgan Stanley

failed to keep the Manhattan district attorney's office

informed about developments in the Curry case. That failure

prompted the district attorney's office to launch a criminal

investigation of Morgan Stanley's conduct, which is ongoing.

"It's very hard on our organization to see the firm's name

look bad in the public domain day after day," said Philip J.

Purcell, Morgan Stanley's chairman and chief executive

officer "That's why the pressure was on to get this out

publicly, get the facts out, and hope it's the end of the

matter.

The 47-year-old general counsel, who earned $7.5 million in

total compensation last year, had been a close colleague of

Purcell. They served together at Dean Witter before that

retail brokerage firm merger with Morgan Stanley two years

ago.

Full article: http://www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/news/financial/morganstanley-scandal.html

The words race ot discromination were not mentioned in the article. This is a example of corporate power to limit damages.

Henry C.K. Liu