Zinn on Twentieth Century

William S. Lear rael at zopyra.com
Tue Jun 15 12:25:54 PDT 1999

On Monday, June 14, 1999 at 17:20:52 (-0800) Marta Russell writes:
>I recently picked up a copy of Howard Zinn's latest revised "The
>Twentieth Century: A People's History" but it appears as though disabled
>people don't rate as "the people." In this "history" book about the
>20th Century with a new section on the Reagan and Bush eras, there is
>absolutely no mention of the Americans with Disabilities Act anywhere
>that I can find, or the fact that there was a new civil rights movement
>in this country after the one in the 60s.
>What a sham.
>
>What is with people like Zinn. Are they just too thick to get it, are
>they uneducated or do they intentionally ignore the disability rights
>movement because we aren't "important"?
>
>If anyone knows how I can contact Zinn, I'd like to ask him personally.

Note that throughout history people have felt powerless before

authority, but that at certain times these powerless people, by

organizing, acting, risking, persisting, have created enough power to

change the world around them, even if a little. That is the history of

the labor movement, of the women's movement, of the anti-Vietnam war

movement, the disabled persons movement, the gay and lesbian movement,

the movement of black people in the South.

---Howard Zinn, http://www.zmag.org/commentaries/zinn%5Ftoc.htm

You might be able to reach him at hzinn at bu.edu, or through the ZMag site, or through Michael Albert (sysop at zmag.org).

Bill