Tobacco advertising to end in UK

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 17 07:01:01 PDT 1999

The tobacco industry, a state monopoly, is very powerful in China. China is the biggest market for international tobaco. On this issue, China is among the most backward nation in the world, although smoking has recently been banned in public places in major cities. The reason for this backwardness can be traced to the use of tabacco by veteran revolutionaries to help them withstand the hardship of their early struggles underground. And after the revolution, by the time tobacco smoking is universally recognized as generally not benign, the leadership was unable to deal objectively with the problem. When elders do, youth follows. Instead of bogus human rights issues, it would be more constructive for progressives of the world to pressure China to face its tobbacco curse.

Henry C.K. Liu