patron saint of the Internet

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 18 07:29:11 PDT 1999

Supporting American business for 25 years, OPIC (Overseas Private Investment Corporation) is a self-sustaining federal agency that encourages private sector investment in countries and areas important to U.S. foreign policy. Since 1971, OPIC has supported investments worth $84 billion that will generate $43 billion in U.S. exports and help to create 200,000 American jobs. OPIC earns a profit of about $200 million a year from the sale of its services and now has reserves totaling more than $2.7 billion.

OPIC offers limited recourse project financing that is hard to find elsewhere, and is another important mechanism for risk management. OPIC also supports a number of privately owned and managed direct investment funds that can provide equity capital for investment projects. Coverages offered by private insurers, especially U.S. political risk insurers, are also available. In some cases, investors may prefer private coverage, or may find that private insurers offer protection against some risks that OPIC does not.

I never understood why OPIC limits itself to FDI (foreign direct investment) rather than extensive coverage on comprehensive investment including debt instruments.

Henry C.K. Liu