katie roiphe

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 18 18:00:45 PDT 1999

In message <3.0.3.32.19990618180947.006c5b48 at postoffice.worldnet.att.net
>, kelley <d-m-c at worldnet.att.net> writes
> i still don't think men are inherently
>violent. it's clearly something that is learned and connected to power
>dynamics that take place in the family, at work, in academe. no i'm not a
>cultural determinist...did i say all men were violent?

Yes, I think you just did - or at least it was an exception to the rule.

You list a lot of abusers - would they agree with your account? Would you say it to their faces? I notice most are from an older generation - fathers of friends, older colleagues - are your own peers exempt? Is that because it's harder to abuse your own acquaintances? Or do you think there is some generational shift? Did you really have three child abusing neighbours? What neighbourhood was that? -- Jim heartfield