katie roiphe

G*rd*n gcf at panix.com
Fri Jun 18 18:55:39 PDT 1999

kelley <d-m-c at worldnet.att.net>:
> > i still don't think men are inherently
> >violent. it's clearly something that is learned and connected to power
> >dynamics that take place in the family, at work, in academe. no i'm not a
> >cultural determinist...did i say all men were violent?

Jim heartfield:
> Yes, I think you just did - or at least it was an exception to the rule.

I'd agree with Doris Lessing who wrote in a little book called _Lies_We_Tell_Ourselves_ or something like that that _human_beings_ have a strong tendency to violence which they need to recognize and deal with. Men will tend to do more noticeable violence because they're bigger and have more muscle mass, and in many cases are given cultural permission, even injunction, to engage in it.

It might be interesting to include political support for violent politicians and parties, e.g. the present U.S. administration, as a species of violence and see how the sexes lined up.

Gordon