unflation

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jun 19 10:14:24 PDT 1999

pms wrote:

>And what I'd like to know is, if this effect is being historically
>intensified by the Internet? I havn't read biz history, but it seems
>there's more that normal of the *change or die* stuff going on in
>capitalism because of the Internet. A whole other type of crisis I wonder,
>or just an extension of "accumulation by crisis" that Marx talks about.
>Maybe it's very close to his experience because of the Industrial Rev.?

Rupert Murdoch says the Internet will destroy more businesses than it creates. But so far, there's not much evidence for that. U.S. business failure rates are the lowest they've been in years. I wonder how many Internet-centered businesses (as opposed to those who merely use the Internet) will survive the end of the IPO mania.

Doug