Left and Right converge on Economic Nationalism

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 20 08:23:38 PDT 1999

While the fundamental conflict between the global radical left and the American extremely right has not blurred, there seems to be increasing convengence in tactics. Economic nationalism is embraced by politicians of opposing ideology all over the world.

PAT BUCHANAN ON THE ISSUES

America First. We need a new foreign policy that ends foreign aid, and pulls up all the trip wires laid down abroad to involve American soldiers in wars that are none of America's business. And we need to demand that rich allies begin paying the full cost of their own defense.

Economic Nationalism. Rather than making "global free trade" a golden calf which we all bow down to, and worship, all trade deals should be judged by whether: a) they maintain U.S. sovereignty, b) they protect vital economic interests, and c) they ensure a rising standard of living for all our workers. We must stop sacrificing American jobs on the altars of transnational corporations whose sole loyalty is to the bottom line. -

The battle for the future will be as much a battle within the parties as it will be between the parties, a battle between the hired men of the Money Power who long ago abandoned as quaint but useless old ideas of nationhood - and populists, patriots and nationalists who want no part of Robert Rubin's world. - PB.

Henry C.K. Liu