katie roiphe

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Mon Jun 21 12:48:23 PDT 1999

How big a factor, overall, do you think alcohol was on this list. Perhaps the more interesting connection is not between men and violence (but it is worth thinking about) but between men and addiction, particularly alcohol. -gn.

kelley wrote:

> men who i've known [i've excluded acquaintances] who were abusive or
> violent or a sexual harasser:
>
> 1. my first boyfriend's father abused his wife and children
> 2. my second boyfriend's father beat his children when he got too drunk
> 3. childhood best friend's father
> 4. high school bud's father
> 5. my grandfather regularly locked my grandmother in the attic for not
> mopping the floor well enough.
> 6. a man taking me home from a stint babysitting refused to do so and
> molested me in a car at 50mph. cops finally stopped him b/c he was drunk.
> they didn't do anything about it and i was scared to say a thing. b/c they
> didn't seem to care that we were far frm my home, that he was drunk, i was
> scared to say anything and almost let them go without peeping. but
> fortunately i finally got in the cruiser. they dropped me off but didn't
> think it important to talk to my folks. big whoop that the guy was pawing
> me. a couple of years later he asked my mother for a dance at a disco, she
> agreed and then kicked him in the balls. yeah mom!!
> 8. a boy during high school tried to molest me when i was passed out drunk
> at my 16th birthday party. fortunately, his my buds intervened and let him
> know what they thought of him. [thank j.n. and j.m wherever you are]
> 9. the leader of a band that i used to hire for the local holiday inn beat
> up his wife--who i'd become friends with--in the parking lot about 4 weeks
> after she delivered their third child.
> 10. i was sexually harassed as a frosh. prof would invite me to his
> office telling me how smart i was blah blah blah. one day he just kissed
> me. i quickly left. rec'd a c in a course where i clearly deserved an A.
> i worked in his dept part time, the dept sec'y told me she was very
> relieved that i hadn't put out for him. everyone knew about his antics, he
> chose a girl each semester. he's no longer teaching because a few women
> filed a sex h. suit against him.
>
> it wasn't til i encountered a marxist feminist years later that i realized
> it wasn't my fault and that he was wrong. for years i thought it was my
> fault, largely because the entire dept. didn't seem to care.
>
> 11. 3 men in a neighborhood [13 homes on the street] where i lived from
> 1984-1994 sexually molested their daughters. one shot himself after
> getting his daughter pregnant. she had the baby. the other family split
> up after it came out. the other family is intact, all of them are in therapy.
> 12. a college chum was abducted in a parking garage, thrown in the drunk.
> the man raped and beat her several times. he finally let her go and
> dropped her off, bloodies and beaten, in one of the poorer sections of
> chicago. she was scared to approach the first people she came upon but
> finally figured that she had to. fortunately they were off duty cops. her
> husband told her not to wear such sexy workout clothes when she went to the
> gym.
> [...]

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298