World Bank & Tibet

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 22 10:21:41 PDT 1999

This is bogus moral imperialism that is a continuation of Kosovo. Th WP: "World Bank cannot accidentally become the instrument of a Chinese policy that affects the survival of Tibetans as a distinct people and culture." Does the WP means the reduction of rural poverty is threatening the survival of Tibetan culture? Is the WP critical of America's 40 acres and a mule program?

The passage of the Homestead Act by Congress in 1862 was the culmination of more than 70 years of controversy over the disposition of public lands. From the inception of the United States there was a clamor for ever-increasing liberalism in the disposition of these lands. From 1830 onward, groups called for free distribution of such lands. This became a demand of the Free-Soil party, which saw such distribution as a means of stopping the spread of slavery into the territories, and it was subsequently adopted by the Republican party in its 1860 platform. The Southern states had been the most vociferous opponents of the policy, and their secession cleared the way for its adoption.

The Act, which became law on Jan. 1, 1863, allowed anyone to file for a quarter-section of free land (160 acres). The land was yours at the end of five years if you had built a house on it, dug a well, broken (plowed) 10 acres, fenced a specified amount, and actually lived there. Additionally, one could claim a quarter-section of land by "timber culture" (commonly called a "tree claim"). This required that you plant and successfully cultivate 10 acres of timber.

Henry C.K. Liu