[PEN-L:8264] Wither Report

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Wed Jun 23 23:18:20 PDT 1999

I do not have a lot of time to respond to Max Sawicky who wrote:

Max. I do not think, nor does anybody else on pen-l think that you are a racist.

> Naturally a mailing list ought to be a hospitable
> place for vigorous, even furious debate about ideas,
> with a minimum of aspersions on the personal character
> of others, directly or indirectly.

Yes, I agree, but I would also include teasing among the problems.

> One of the wonders of this, frankly, is Mike Perelman's tolerance of
> and
> even light, occasional dalliance in the most bitter language
> pertaining to those classified by some as unradical, and his contrary
> posture regarding much milder stuff coming from the other direction.

Max, I do not want to get particulars. I will respond to tell you where I stand, but I will let the matter drop after that without getting into a debate with you. I do not see any good reason for NATO's actions. I dislike Clinton, but I would not bomb you house to demonstrate my anger. You wanted to go on and on about Yugoslavia when your [early] perspective could be found on any television station. You demanded that those who disagree with you admit their love of S.M. It served no purpose. I wanted pen-l to help to develop information to assist in opposing the war.

> I appreciate his labors in running the list, but
> I have to question his exercise of impartiality.

So I admit that I am not impartial. I thought that the war was wrong.

> This was obvious in the past re: LP vs. GL, though
> since then LP has more-or-less mellowed out.

I regret the LP vs. GL incident [LBO people, please ignore this]. I pleaded with Jerry off line to lay off the personal stuff for some time. After a week or so, I thought that I was left with no choice.

> "If you don't like it, why not leave?" some might
> ask. Well fuck you. If you don't want a diverse
> list, you can leave.

I don't think that people feel the way you suggest. Certainly, I don't.

> To me PEN-L is a bit like a public utility; no narrow point of view
> has
> exclusive rights to it.

Not quite. I don't think that it should represent a narrow point of view, but I should be a progressive force.

> I have lately avoided directly engaging others who
> can't hold up a civil exchange and will continue to
> do so,

[And I appreciate your recent behavior, although I do not accept your characterization of those who cannot hold up a civil exchange]

--

Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University michael at ecst.csuchico.edu Chico, CA 95929 530-898-5321 fax 530-898-5901