Wither Report

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jun 24 07:49:46 PDT 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

>What a gross epidemic of self-righteousness on
>PEN-L and LBO these past few weeks! This has
>taken the form of denunciations of non-existent
>racism on the list, unnamed neo-classical
>economists, or the universe of "liberals."
>We sure like ourselves, don't we?

Max, I'm a bit perplexed by this, since I made it pretty clear that I don't want to see personalized insults here, and we recently lost HCKL because of one pointed rebuke. It's not easy for me to take on the impartial moderator role - I generally like strong points of view, heated polemic, and even a bit of ad hominem. But I've seen too many lists go down in flames, which is why I'm so eager, maybe overeager, to stop a potential conflagration while it's still in the smoky/sparky phase.

Doug