Americans' concerns about moral decline

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Thu Jun 24 08:00:21 PDT 1999

> > One noteworthy poll finding is that the public figure who
> scores highest
> > as a moral exemplar is Colin Powell (not surprisingly, Clinton ranks
> > lowest). The WSJ quotes pollster Fred Yang on the Powell results as
> > follows: "An African-American male rated as having the
> highest morals
> > among white Southern Conservatives truly belongs on Mount Rushmore."
>
> That's too bad, given that he has been accused of war crimes committed
> during the "War to Make the World Safe for Emirs."

I'm not inclined to hand out morality medals to military types myself, but I'm surprised that Powell got such a vigorous thumbs-up from the less squeamish Southern Conservatives. I'm a little confused about how this survey was made and whether it was open-ended in terms of selections, but I didn't see any mention of "Stormin' Norman," whom I would think would be numero uno with good ol' boys.

Carl Remick