Marx on Smith

Andrew Kliman Andrew_Kliman at email.msn.com
Thu Jun 24 07:43:12 PDT 1999

Doug wrote:

"I don't need any special equipment to believe that profit originates in exploitation, or that the phenomenal categories of interest and profit are based on the intracapitalist division of surplus value. I think these are fundamentally political questions, not technical ones."

I agree with the last sentence. But it is one thing to believe that profit originates in exploitation, and another to have a coherent argument to that effect. I don't see how the latter is possible in the absence of a theory that relates profit to the amount of work that workers do.

Andrew Kliman