Americans' concerns about moral decline

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Thu Jun 24 10:49:57 PDT 1999

> Carl, I mean this in all seriousness: you're a PR
> professional. How would
> you spin it?

I think the premise of the question is wrong. The last thing this country needs is more spinning -- it's dizzy enough already. Somehow, we have to create psychic space so that simple truths and honest values can prevail. This society has to be put on an irony-free diet so that people can feel free to give expression to the feelings of compassion (genuine sympathy for others, not NATO-brand, bomb-'em-til-the-rubble-bounces humanitarianism) that they're constantly suppressing in themselves.

I'm not a very good judge of spinning, anyway. Most of the arguments -- enthusiastically endorsed by clients -- I'm paid to translate into grammatical prose I find laughably unconvincing. A lot of this work consists of trying to position hopelessly uninspiring CEOs as "visionaries." Do people believe this crap? As I've said before, most PR just seems to be a branch of vanity publishing.

Carl Remick