Americans' concerns about moral decline

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jun 24 11:47:23 PDT 1999

Carl Remick wrote:

>Somehow,
>we have to create psychic space so that simple truths and honest values
>can prevail.

That's not enough. There has to be some passionate/fantastic core - some It, to use the Zizekian/Lacanian terminology - to bind them together and to make it all seem worthwhile. PR and ad people understand that - they know that commodities and ideas have to be suffused with an emotional glow, whether we're talking soft drinks ("Coke is It!" indeed) or political ideas ("Morning in America"). How do you jam their signals and come up with good ones?

Doug