Americans' concerns about moral decline

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Thu Jun 24 12:19:19 PDT 1999

> That's not enough. There has to be some passionate/fantastic
> core - some
> It, to use the Zizekian/Lacanian terminology - to bind them
> together and to
> make it all seem worthwhile. PR and ad people understand that
> - they know
> that commodities and ideas have to be suffused with an emotional glow,
> whether we're talking soft drinks ("Coke is It!" indeed) or
> political ideas
> ("Morning in America"). How do you jam their signals and come
> up with good
> ones?

I think the jamming should start by pointing out that Corporate Democracy (one share = one vote) is not the same as Political Democracy (one person = one vote) and that most people will remain physically and emotionally frazzled, if not worse, so long as the former has suzerainty over the latter. That's not as crisp as "Coke Is It!", but I think it's a good rational foundation for a rhetorical appeal that could have great resonance.

Carl Remick