Left and Right converge on Economic Nationalism

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Fri Jun 25 09:06:00 PDT 1999

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Max Sawicky wrote:

> Israel is supported unwaveringly by Christian Fundamentalists, one of
> Buchanan's constituencies. They believe the ingathering of the Jews into
> the promised land is a necessary prelude to Judgement Day.
>
> Michael
> >>

> The Fundies have been supportive of Israel.
> Patsy is another matter. He opposed the
> Gulf War and likened Jews in the U.S. and
> Israel to the "Amen corner." He's a
> consistent jew-baiter. I would not say
> he's an anti-semite, since he has ecumenical
> disdain for all non-native/non-white groups.
>
> mbs

But Michael's point is correct w.r.t. to the fundies. Pat Robertson is the same way. There's all sorts of thinly veiled references to Jews as secret cabal that runs intl finace in his New World Order book. But at the same time he is vigorously pro-Israel for the reasons noted above. Like Buchanan, the names he comes up with to represent intl Capital are never "Bailey, Banks, and Biddle" or "Merrill Lynch" (the largest Wall Street firm, no?), but instead "Goldman Sachs" or some other Jewish *named* company. (As Doug pointed out about Patty B the other day.) I've seen the same shit in Falwell's stuff. Yes, it's all xenophobic in general, but they all do nice cleaned up versions of _The Protocols of the Elders of Zion_.

Joseph Noonan jfn1 at msc.com

"I think everybody knows (or should know) about x-ray crystallography -- I do."