Marxian vs. bourgeios categories [was Marx on Smith]

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jun 26 07:52:43 PDT 1999

Roger Odisio wrote:

>So what do we make of the basis for your judgements about marxian analysis?

Not worth a dime, obviously.

I keep hearing statements about how the concept of productive labor is central to Marxian analysis, and the basis of all sorts of fruitful insights, but I've yet to hear any examples of those fruitful insights. We did hear that British capital was better off than it realized in the 1970s, but British capital seemed unaware of their good fortune, and opted for Thatcherism instead.

>This conversation hasn't been a complete
>waste of time. It has helped me understand what weight I should assign to
>any statements you might make about Marx, from his analysis of the laws of
>motion to whether the old fat guy had high blood pressure.

Was he hypertensive? I knew about the carbuncles, but I was unaware of the state of his cardiovascular health.

Doug