Marxian vs. bourgeios categories [was Marx on Smith]

kelley digloria at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 26 09:11:21 PDT 1999

>Was he hypertensive? I knew about the carbuncles, but I was unaware
>of the state of his cardiovascular health.

kneeslapper! i guess what's bothering me, too, is this: who are y'all trying to convince? frankly, it just sounds like preaching to the choir. if the predictive capacities of marxist theory is your schtick i can't honestly believe that any of the policy wonk rational choice econoheads--not the ones i've worked with anyway--will *ever* be persuaded of anything based on the numbers. rakesh, for example, argues that the "resolute" marxist analyses of mattick et al., "is an important argument against the "social democratic and left keynesian answers to accumulation crises." well, what are those answers; that is, how are the 'policy solutions' they offer *conceptually related* [integrally, not accidentally] to the methodology[ies] employed? how could we have not come up with these policy formulations anyway? do we have evidence of the soc dems and left keynesians changing their tune? where's delong anyway? hey brad we have some unfinished business, don't we?

kelley