how do you get people to commit Was: Americans' concerns

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Mon Jun 28 06:57:47 PDT 1999

> On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> > joining. He fortunately had never read Adorno or been on a maillist
> > with nothing better to do than ask foolish questions.
>
> Which explains exactly why the CP was smashed so easily in
> the Fifties,
> and why Rightwingers to this day ceaselessly attack intellectuals and
> pointy-heads (and, of course, the Frankfurt School) any
> chance they can,
> right?
>
> -- Dennis

Yes, I think it's a mistake to romanticize this plucky guy hawking the Daily Worker on a street corner no matter what the weather. Maybe New York City is just nastier than Minneapolis, but anyone who has been here any length of time gets used to seeing an assortment of cranks at their habitual postings around town flogging their idées fixes. No one to my knowledge has ever said, "Gee, look at those guys with nothing better to do than annoy passersby -- they must really have something to say!"

Carl Remick