how do you get people to commit Was: Americans' concerns

Tom Lehman uswa12 at lorainccc.edu
Mon Jun 28 08:36:14 PDT 1999

Embarrassing Moments in the History of Organized Labor:

You get up at a meeting or rally to speak. You make some brilliant and insightful comments. You clinch your argument with a hard hitting fact or quote. You sit down. Then it hits you. You have just quoted the Peoples Weekly World. You then pray that no one asks you for the source of your quote or fact. This happens all the time...to all kinds of people.:o)

You are at a rally or public meeting for some good union cause. You are approached by a newsie hawking one of the various tabloids trying to rally the workers. The newsie no doubt is honest in his or her conviction to the cause. My usual answer is to tell the newsie that I have a lifetime subscription to their tabloid. This works.;o) If the newsie is a pal; I add the words whether I want it or not.

Tommy