Fed Up

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Jun 30 12:27:29 PDT 1999

No, Max, I don't think that Galbraith is the enemy. But his refusal to put "pejorative labels" (as he put it in the email I forwarded) on things confuses thi >>

As Nation editorials go I think the piece is excellent. I think your reading is somewhat crabbed.

OTOH, I agree w/you and others that some of the comments about Fed motivations re: favored and disfavored lines of business are problematic. DD:s post in this vein was impressive.

The main point is that tight labor markets bring a plethora of benefits and negligible or zero costs. That's what people need to understand. The forces behind rate hikes are well-lambasted in the column, if not with high precision.

BTW, Marta, when an anti-Fed resolution was being discussed at the ADA convention a couple of weeks ago, a reference to 4.2 UE was immediately qualified by a fellow in the audience named Jack Scheinkman, who cited ADA's long-standing publication of uncounted unemployed persons. So your reference to "the liberals" was innaccurate.

There are good reasons to criticize liberals, and some day I'm sure you (the list, not just Marta) will stumble onto a few.

cheers,

mbs