Brenner on dollar devaluation

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue Mar 2 10:39:46 PST 1999

Another reason why the devaluations in East Asia have not had the "desired elasticity" in terms of exports is a ridiculously technical and trivial one: shortage of transport capacity. In particular, the number of ships available to carry exports to the US from SE Asia depends on the number going there with goods. Apparently does not pay well to just carry stuff one way. So, the decline in imports with imploding economies there has reduced their ability to export because of a drying up of shipping availability, so to speak. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Cc: brenner at history.ucla.edu <brenner at history.ucla.edu> Date: Tuesday, March 02, 1999 1:07 PM Subject: Re: Brenner on dollar devaluation