Genetically Modified (GM) Food

Picciotto, Sol s.picciotto at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Mar 2 11:21:38 PST 1999

Thanks to Chuck Grimes for the scientific input, which I will have to ponder, as I found it about as hard to get my head around as he did my comments on the law.

The comments below I find more confusing. PHR may have better information than I do about company practices, but as far as I know computer software is now protected almost everywhere by copyright and not patent law - which is actually much stronger.

I do know that companies try to write their patent specifications as broadly as possible, but this can lay them open to legal challenge from competitors if they try to protect the basic science and not the specific innovation. Can you give specific examples? The international system is now fairly complex, since a patent can be held valid in one country but invalid in another. Monsanto has run into this problem I believe.

My basic point was that intellectual property rights give legal monopoly protection , but economic monopoly can exist anyway and is harder to combat. I was trying to wind Doug up - in fact you could say that legal protection in some contexts helps the little guy who doesnt have a strong economic monopoly. This may apply to copyright, which is automatic, but not patents, as the process of registering and defending patents is so costly.

cheers

sol