Where Rocky's drug laws came from (and went)

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Mar 2 11:32:35 PST 1999

I never knew this. From today's Molly Ivins column in the Fort-Worth Star-Telegram:

<snip>

Of course, drug policy in this country has a long history of

tragicomic turns. Back in the early '70s, Texas still had berserker

marijuana laws (first-offense possession of any amount was a

two-to-life felony). I will never forget the jaw-dropped amazement

with which we learned that Nelson Rockefeller, then the governor of

New York, had proposed a similarly draconian law there on the grounds

that "Texas has it, and it works very well."

It worked so badly that it was a rank, open scandal, and the very next

year, the Texas Legislature -- which by no means had any claim to the

progressive credentials for which Rockefeller was noted -- repealed

the thing. Even the Texas Lege could see what a piece of folly that

was.

<snip>

Complete column at: http://www.startext.net/today/news/columnist/ivins2.htm

Michael