Genetically Modified (GM) Food

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 2 12:27:20 PST 1999

In message <36DAFB15.2692 at gte.net>, Paul Henry Rosenberg <rad at gte.net> writes
>What's happening now is that companies are getting patents to ANY AND
>ALL transgenic soybeans, for example, based on JUST ONE genetic
>modification use JUST ONE technique.
>
>The result is that their "property rights" now cover anything that might
>result for the incredibly vast and varied sum of common knowledge in the
>field, which used to be completely untouchable by patents.

This is very interesting. I agree with the argument that in general the monopoly over scientific technique should be abolished (though I quite understand Doug's qualification).

But what Monsanto have in common with their critics is the desire to restrict the application of scientific developments. For freedom of enquiry, I say. -- Jim heartfield